Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sometimes I'm Too Nice

Today, I went to the UPS store around the corner from my office here in San Francisco. I don't know if it was her or she's just indicative of people in San Francisco, in general, but I dealt with THE MOST incompetent person ever to work in a UPS store. Here are some examples of what "Tory" did to turn my UPS visit into a 40 minute ordeal, all just to send a package:

-Asked me for the recipient's driver's license number. Umm...how the hell would I know that? I'm returning something to a store, not a person. And who in the world knows your driver's license number by heart? I don't know any of my friends' numbers, not even my own...

-Asked me for mine. Why the hell does she need to know this to send my package? Does she need to see my traffic violations?

-Asked me if I had a girlfriend because she found out that I'm a fairly good cook (I was sending something back to Cooking.com). She said she would never let go of a "cute guy" like me.

-Kept clicking some button on the computer that erased all the info that she entered. She did this twice and she typed SLOW.

-Kept picking up the phone that someone else at the store had placed on hold because the phone kept beeping. I was like, "hello, the phone is beeping because the person is on hold, but NOT FOR YOU."

The manager finally came over and finished my package in about two minutes. I was too nice to really lay it on her, but I was fuming. Well, at least I'm over it now.

Oh my god. I hate incompetence.

6 comments:

john said...

I bet you called the UPS headquarters about her...

EM said...

you want incompetence? move to florida. i've never witnessed anything like it since moving down here. we have to have a backup plan for every outing because something always goes wrong due to some ignoramous' incompetence. it's absurd. like the lawnmen in my townhouse complex. they insist upon putting poison on and weedwhacking FLOWERS. they're flowers! set apart from the grass by mulch. it should be fairly obvious they were put there intentionally. but no. these are floridians we're dealing with. "obvious" is not part of their vocabulary. i hate this damn state.

Stationery Queen said...

They give a special test for incompetence to people who handle mail and packages, I think.

:-)

GrooveTheory said...

Damn! I would've grabbed her and beat her up sensely. JUST KIDDING! I always have this thing I do or say to people to make them aware that I don't want their incompetence to rub off on me :) Is that mean? GOD! I'm a bitch!

teahouse said...

Hahahaha. She was probably secretly writing down your phone number and other stats, so she can tell her friends she met a cute guy and then swoop in for the kill later this week.

Byf said...

I know. Whatever happened to customer service? Why, in my day ...