Monday, May 07, 2007

Why Do The Corporate Gods Always Know When You're Going On A Vacation?


Wow, it's May 7, and I haven't posted yet?!? I'm such a bad blogger. Truth be told, I've been a little down lately, and haven't been in the mood to even look at my computer.

Last Friday, I drove down to Harrisburg, PA for a wedding for a friend from college who had tracked me down after losing touch 3 or 4 years ago. I was looking forward to it. I hadn't seen any of those people in over four years. Plus this was an Indian wedding which immediately brings to mind Bend It Like Beckham and my inner Bollywood.

On Friday, I had a fair amount to do for work and pack and get all my things together. I got up around 6AM, which is super-early for me and sat down at my computer. Six hours later, I still had yet to shower. I was that busy. But finally I got up from desk chair and started grabbing underwear, socks, shirts and everything else I needed for my trip. Packing didn't take long, and the constant flood of work emails and phone calls seemed to have stop.

The plan was to leave NYC around 3PM, so I could make a pre-wedding dinner at 7:30 that night. I was pretty much on schedule. I left my apartment at 2:30 to walk up to the rental place to get my car. I got my car and was set to drive back to my apartment to pick up my bags. This all proceeded fine and pretty soon, I was on my way out, escaping New York.

Then the deluge came.

I hadn't really told any of my clients that I was leaving the office a little early, well, in my case, my home office. But somehow they just seemed to know. I had just gotten out of the Lincoln tunnel and my clients were all calling me with "emergencies":

"Terence, this has to be done tonight."
"How soon can you get this done? I need it by tomorrow"
"We have people coming in over the weekend to work on this. Will this be done by then"
Yeah, yeah. I get it. Word somehow spread that I was leaving NYC, and you think I'm never coming back. Seriously, why does this always happen? Literally, from Monday - Thursday, I was twiddling my thumbs and wondering how I was going to bill my hours. Then on Friday, all my clients seemed to have this telepathic knowledge that I was trying to leave a tad early and were determined to fit in all their work right before my trip. Why oh why?

I ended up working the whole weekend, which I guess was ok, since the wedding was kind of boring. I'll write more about that later. In the meantime, I'll stop whining now, and get back to work.