Monday, May 14, 2007

Birthday Post #04: Hey, Did You Know It's My Birthday? Because It Is.

So did I mention that it's my birthday? I just hope everyone knew it was coming up, because I don't remember if I mentioned it here or not. Just making sure.

Surprisingly, I do have a bit of a birthday buzz, when I haven't cared in any other previous year that I remember. Maybe because I was very flattered by all the birthday comments on my blog. To increase my buzz, I learned from the Farmer's Almanac that today is a red-letter day. Check out the birthday lore on the link. I'm much too modest to post it here.

And courtesy of the The History Channel, here are a few events that took place on the day of my birthday.

In 1804, one year after the United States doubled its territory with the Louisiana Purchase, the Lewis and Clark expedition left St. Louis, Missouri, on a mission to explore the Northwest from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. The Indians must still be kicking themselves today.

In 1904, the Third Olympiad of the modern era, and the first Olympic Games to be held in the United States, opened in St. Louis, Missouri. When I was little, I wanted to win an Olympic Gold medal...and an Oscar...and a Nobel Prize...and a Grammy.

In 1948, Jewish Agency Chairman David Ben-Gurion proclaimed the State of Israel, establishing the first Jewish state in 2,000 years. I always think of Charlton Heston, when I hear this guy's name.

In 1960, Mickey Thompson, a.k.a. "Mr. Speed," broke Bernd Rosemeyer's 22-year-old record for the standing mile and standing kilometer. Hmmm, when I heard "Mr. Speed", I thought of this instead of driving. Shows where my mind is at.

In 1948, a brutal murder began an unusual investigation. OOOOOOOK.

In 1991, Seinfeld aired its final premiere episode on this day in 1998. I loved this show when it was on, but why does the humor seem so dated now?

In 1861, William Fetterman, who later led 80 of his soldiers to their deaths at the hands of the Sioux, joined the Union Army. A story for every festive occasion.

In 1973, Skylab, America's first space station, was successfully launched into an orbit around the earth. And then it came crashing down five years later. Ouch.

In 1944, filmmaker George Lucas was born on this day in 1944 in Modesto, California. Good job George on the first three. Eh on the last three.
Back tomorrow with more silly observations from TCho's World.

7 comments:

Crash said...

Happy Birthday!

dpaste said...

Happy Happy Happy.

David Ben-Gurion ≠ Charlton Heston. Yuk.

PocketCT said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to your best dreams come true this year.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I missed your birthday! Hope it was wonderful!

Ming the Merciless said...

Farmer's Almanac 2100

In 2007, Terence Cho wrote a list of thing he wanted on his blog, TChoWorld.

tim said...

Awww, Terence... Happy Birthday!!! Thanks to Verizon DSL, I missed it. BUT, I will say this... the mango piter should be skipped... unless someone gave it to you, then hey, pit away.

If you are in the area (and who doesn't hang out on the Lower East Side), stop by the Bowery Whole Foods, I am doing a demo on the sales floor between the hours of 6pm and 8pm. Free food all over the damn store, we have a block party every Wednesday nights at that time.

I still do owe you a drink and we will play tennis this summer. How about we start with a drink sometime?

Anonymous said...

Happy week after your birthday.

(Hey, I get credit for saying Happy Birthday directly on your birthday via IM, don't I?)