Saturday, March 31, 2007

Work? WTF?


Omg, work was driving me crazy last week. I couldn't wait to get out of there because I was leaving for a quick ski trip late in the week. Have you ever felt like you're jinxed at work, like your busy times come at THE MOST inopportune times?

For example, I could be sitting at my desk all day, and I'll have not a single thing to do, and not a single client will call. But the second I leave my desk for lunch, four clients will call me, all at the same time of course. And I actually really hate checking voicemail. It's such a huge pain to punch in all those numbers.

All this can be really frustrating at any job, but especially in a job where you have to deal with clients. It's not like you can really tell a client, "Well, actually I'm really busy with another client, so I can't do your crap." My job is not hard. I just have some picky clients asking me to do some fairly repetitive tasks. So not hard at all. Time consuming, yes, but no where near hard. Sometimes, I want to scream at them, "I can multi-task, but I ain't frickin superman."

The worst has to be the day before I leave for a vacation. I had been telling everyone--coworkers and clients--about my vacation this past weekend for two weeks. No one said a word until Wednesday, of course. Then, everyone's calling me that day concerned about the coverage I had arranged and client deliverables. I have no idea why everyone was freaking out about two days, which is how long I ended up being away.

It’s the same old story. I get the guilt-laden remarks from my boss and clients about me leaving. And they pile on the work so that when it rains, it POURS, and I get enough work all of a sudden to last me the rest of my lifetime. Sometimes in situations like this, I’m half tempted to get really "difficult" and go slower than I normally would to kind of "punish" everyone for not heeding my warning about my absence and to make them all realize that I haven't missed a day since August 2006, working throughout all the holidays. But I have too much professional responsibility to resort to anything so juvenile.

Anyhow, I'm now back from a few days of skiing, a bit refreshed and a bit frostbitten. I don't want to go back to work. I wonder if they missed me.

2 comments:

Ming the Merciless said...

Errr...are you sure your clients, co-workers or boss aren't reading this?

Anyway, have a wonderful vacation in Colorado. And leave the snow bunny-boys alone. :-)

GrooveTheory said...

For example, I could be sitting at my desk all day, and I'll have not a single thing to do, and not a single client will call. But the second I leave my desk for lunch, four clients will call me, all at the same time of course.

This is my everyday life, btw. It's like a cosmic conspiracy against me, I always say.