Saturday, March 31, 2007

Work? WTF?


Omg, work was driving me crazy last week. I couldn't wait to get out of there because I was leaving for a quick ski trip late in the week. Have you ever felt like you're jinxed at work, like your busy times come at THE MOST inopportune times?

For example, I could be sitting at my desk all day, and I'll have not a single thing to do, and not a single client will call. But the second I leave my desk for lunch, four clients will call me, all at the same time of course. And I actually really hate checking voicemail. It's such a huge pain to punch in all those numbers.

All this can be really frustrating at any job, but especially in a job where you have to deal with clients. It's not like you can really tell a client, "Well, actually I'm really busy with another client, so I can't do your crap." My job is not hard. I just have some picky clients asking me to do some fairly repetitive tasks. So not hard at all. Time consuming, yes, but no where near hard. Sometimes, I want to scream at them, "I can multi-task, but I ain't frickin superman."

The worst has to be the day before I leave for a vacation. I had been telling everyone--coworkers and clients--about my vacation this past weekend for two weeks. No one said a word until Wednesday, of course. Then, everyone's calling me that day concerned about the coverage I had arranged and client deliverables. I have no idea why everyone was freaking out about two days, which is how long I ended up being away.

It’s the same old story. I get the guilt-laden remarks from my boss and clients about me leaving. And they pile on the work so that when it rains, it POURS, and I get enough work all of a sudden to last me the rest of my lifetime. Sometimes in situations like this, I’m half tempted to get really "difficult" and go slower than I normally would to kind of "punish" everyone for not heeding my warning about my absence and to make them all realize that I haven't missed a day since August 2006, working throughout all the holidays. But I have too much professional responsibility to resort to anything so juvenile.

Anyhow, I'm now back from a few days of skiing, a bit refreshed and a bit frostbitten. I don't want to go back to work. I wonder if they missed me.

3 comments:

Ming_the_Merciless said...

Errr...are you sure your clients, co-workers or boss aren't reading this?

Anyway, have a wonderful vacation in Colorado. And leave the snow bunny-boys alone. :-)

GrooveTheory said...

For example, I could be sitting at my desk all day, and I'll have not a single thing to do, and not a single client will call. But the second I leave my desk for lunch, four clients will call me, all at the same time of course.

This is my everyday life, btw. It's like a cosmic conspiracy against me, I always say.

EM said...

can't tell you how many times i've almost quit due to underappreciation (and downright abusiveness) from my bosses. am trying to stay till the end of the exhibition season so i don't leave the upcoming artists hanging, but then it's time to go. i hate work. why, oh why, didn't i marry a sugar daddy?