Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Long Walk Home

Woke up at 6AM today after 4 hours of tossing and turning.

Got yelled at by my client when I was trying to help him and make things easier. Then had to endure countless conference calls and edit fun Visio flowcharts all day.

Had a job interview today that turned out to be tougher than I expected, but I think I did pretty well.

Waited in Grand Central for the S Shuttle when we all started to smell and see smoke. People started screaming at everyone to "Get out!"

Ran out of the station, on to the street and watched in amazement the geyser of smoke shooting up through the air after the explosion. People were weeping, and no one could make a phone call because the networks were all busy. Started the trek uptown and tried in vain to catch crosstown buses at 50th street, then 57th street, and then 66th street back over to the West Side, but ended up walking across the park and all the way home.

Got home at 7:30PM, all sweaty and tired as hell, with sore feet from my fancy work shoes. Pissed off that I didn't make it to the gym today.

At 10PM, I crashed and passed out. Woke up just now to read articles about the explosion and check more work emails. Looked at some reports for work and sent some client emails. Found out that I have to go to San Francisco sometime in the next couple of weeks.

What a day.


GrooveTheory said...

I'm glad you're ok though. YOu were pretty close to the explosion.

teahouse said...

Hey, I'm sorry it was a bad day. I was over by the U.N. and I knew something weird was up when I came outside and First Ave was bumper to bumper and tons of pedestrians were running around.

If I'd been there, I would have given you a ride back to the UWS in the cab I caught.

Things will get better.

tim said...

Glad to see you are okay.

Wayne said...

Aweee, poor baby. Smooch Smooch. Thank goodness that I didn't brag about how I made it to Penn Station and caught my train and had a wonderful nap in the air conditioned cabin, and got home in time dinner.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, that was quite a day on that side of town.

That can happen anywhere!

Glad you got home ok...

kevin said...

It seems like you have had one hell of a day over there in NYC.

We saw the explosion reported on the news here in New Zealand and you were so close to it. The main thing is that you were ok. It sounds like you had a long walk home. We need to get you someone at home to give you a foot massage after your long walks...maybe the cheese counter guy!!!

Anyways im pleased you are ok.
Kev in NZ

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Holey fuck, day from hell.

Glad you're OK being soo close and all.

Still, things can only get better.

Christopher said...

That's some scary stuff!...glad you're OK!