Saturday, March 04, 2006

Today At The Gym

I woke up fairly early today for a Saturday. After puttering around my apartment for a bit, I decided to go to the gym. I belong to Equinox and the closest branches to me are 76th & Amsterdam and Columbus Circle. I prefer Columbus Circle because it's a bit more spacious and sharing the same building as Whole Foods is very convenient.

I decided to do some cardio that day and got on the treadmill. I kind of needed to clear my head and so running was good. I ran four miles and then got off the treadmill to cool down and towel myself down.

As I walked off the treadmills, I tuned into the TVs. Soon I was totally engrossed in The Real World/Road Rules challenge and stood there glued to the TV set even though there was no sound, just subtitles. While I was watching the show, I happened to be standing behind an elliptical machine. A woman soon approached me and asked "Excuse me, are you using this?" I replied "Oh, sorry. No."

So I moved out of the way. As I did so, my eyes were still glued to the TV. But I should have watched where I was going instead of the TV. I tripped over the elliptical machine I was standing behind, and knocked into the woman on the next machine and fell over her pedals. I braced my fall with my arms and ended up banging my right arm into a standing beam with a mirror surrounded by a metal frame that I scraped my elbow on. I also got a nasty bruise on my left quad from falling on the second elliptical machine. And my broken arm is also really sore. Everyone crowded around me and I was so embarrassed. I told everyone sheepishly, "I'm ok. Was just distracted by the tv..."

Real World isn't worth this much pain.

4 comments:

EM said...

awww, are you feeling better? next time assume that it's mindless nonsense (and not in the good way) and skip watching the Real World. especially that gauntlet idiocy. heal quickly.

marshmallow said...

aw man. i agree, the real world isn't worth that much pain.

don't you love columbus circle? i'm glad i don't live near there, otherwise i would practically live IN it. the shops, ah...

jenny said...

Man! I had no idea gyms were so dangerous. Thanks for the warning!

teahouse said...

I had a mishap with a treadmill when I was in high school, and I still have the scars to prove it.

Hey, I go to that Equinox sometimes...